Louisiana Civil Code

Table of Contents (Download PDF)


Art. 1307. A partition may be sued for by any heirs, testamentary or ab intestato.

It can also be sued for by any universal legatee or legatee under an universal title, and even by a particular legatee, when a thing has been bequeathed to him in common with one or more persons.

Art. 1308. The action of partition will not only lie between co-heirs and co-legatees, but between all persons who hold property in common, from whatever cause they may hold in common. [Amended by Acts 1871, No. 87]

Art. 1309. It is not indispensable to be owner in common in order to be able to support the action of partition; possession alone, when it is lawful and proceeds from a just title, will support it.

Thus, usufructuaries of the same estate can institute among themselves the action of partition.

Art. 1310. But the possession, necessary to support this action, must be in the names of the persons enjoying it, and for themselves; it can not be instituted by those who possess in the name of another, as tenants and depositaries.

Art. 1311. Partitions can be sued for not only by the majority of the heirs, but by each of them, so that one heir alone can force all the rest to a partition at his instance.

Art. 1312. Tutors of minors, and curators of persons interdicted have the right to institute in their names suits for the partition of the effects of successions, whether movable or immovable, falling to minors or persons interdicted, provided they are specially authorized by the judge on the advice of the family meeting.

Art. 1313. Minors who are emancipated to enable them to administer their estate can, with the same authorization and with the assistance of their curators ad lites, sue for the partition of property in which they are interested.

Art. 1314. But the authorization of the judge is not necessary to enable tutors or curators of minors or persons interdicted or minors emancipated, to answer suits for partition brought against them.

Art. 1315. With regard to the absent coheirs, the curators who have been appointed to them, or the relations who have been put into possession of their effects, can sue or be sued for a partition as representing in every respect the absent heirs.

Arts. 1316-1317. [Repealed. Acts 1960, No. 30, §2, eff. Jan. 1, 1961]

Art. 1318. Not only the coheir himself, but the heirs of that coheir, and any other successor can compel a partition of the estate, and be themselves compelled to make it.

Art. 1319. The right given by the ancient laws to the heirs of a deceased person, to compel the assignee or purchaser of a portion of the succession sold by their coheirs to retrocede it to them for the price paid for it, is repealed.

Art. 1320. It is not necessary, to support the action of partition, that the coheirs, or the party commencing it, should be in actual possession of the succession or of the thing to be divided; for among coheirs and coproprietors, it is not the possession but the ownership, which is the basis of the action.

Art. 1321. It follows from the provisions of the preceding article that the partition can be demanded, even though one of the heirs should have enjoyed some part of the estate separately, if there has been no act of partition, nor possession sufficient to acquire prescription.

Provide Website Feedback / Accessibility Statement / Accessibility Assistance / Privacy Statement